The principles for the Association are as follows:
Any group that forms to provide a benefit to the neighbourhood can be an affiliated neighbourhood group if:
- There is a contact person who will be the liaison with other groups and willing to meet at least two times a year for a joint Neighbourhood Association meeting;
- There is a contact available to the broader public;
- The groups offers a program/activity that benefits a significant part of the neighbourhood or population within the neighbourhood
- The group and its activities are open to everyone and has minimal barriers/requirements for participation e.g. fees.
- The group is open to sharing with other neighbourhood group representatives and collaborating for mutual benefit.
If funds are managed or required by the group:
- These can be managed by the associated group on a simple cash float, break event, basis and the group leaders are fully responsible for this management;
- Independent incorporated partner/affiliated organizations are responsible for their own resource management and reporting;
- If additional funds are required or obtained, these may be done in conjunction with the Association (e.g. grant) and managed through the Association account but the group must be responsible for planning and reporting on these funds
- Funds may be requested by a group subject to availability of funds from the Association account (if a City program grant is applicable to the activity, this amount is available – up to $75 per year.
Requests for City support, such as staff assistance, room bookings or printing, should be made through the Association Contact person or by the Affiliated Group’s contact person who is listed as an approved group contact.
The Neighbourhood Association is required to renew an affiliation agreement with the City of Kitchener each year and provide a contact for the Association and an update on the Association’s purpose and status. The list of affiliated groups of the Mt. Hope-Breithaupt Park Neighbourhood Association is included in this annual renewal.